At last ! Roxburgh Reivers are pleased to present a SoSOL at Lanton on an updated map – the area was last used in the early 1990’s. An easy 1 hour drive down the A68 from the Edinburgh bypass or about 1 hr 15 mins from Newcastle. Parking on hard-standing, indoor registration. Shopping and coffee shop opportunities nearby as well as the impressive Jedburgh Abbey.
The final information sheet (in pdf format) is now available HERE
|What:||South of Scotland Orienteering League|
|Where:||Lanton Moor, Jedburgh Map ref: NT 652208|
|When:||Sunday 20 February 2011|
|Getting there:||Signposted off A68 in the centre of Jedburgh|
|Parking||Parking is on hardstanding in and around Jedburgh Grammar School and Sports Centre plus surrounding streets. Link HERE|
|Toilets:||Limited toilets at the Sports Centre. Public (pay) toilets next to the main car park in the centre of town, or visit one of the 2 woollen mill shops at the north end of town and use their’s.|
|Registration:||Registration will be in the Jedburgh Grammar School Sports Centre from 10.30 – 12.30. No dirty or studded/spiked shoes please.|
|In an effort to avoid wasting maps we are going to try a pre-enter/pay on the day system.
1. If you think you’ll probably be going, please fill in the form. HERE
2. Everyone entering by midnight on Sunday 13/2/2011 will be guaranteed the map of their choice.
3. We’ll print more maps for each course but some entries after 13/2 may get a non-waterproof A4 map. You are strongly encouraged to pre-enter, even if you don’t then manage to go.
4. If pre-entries haven’t turned up and paid by 12:15 we will release their maps to EOD’s.
5. You can continue to fill in an entry form up to midnight on Friday 18/2/2011 and we’ll allocate maps on a first come, first served basis.
6. Entry fees are the same for pre-enter and EOD. No penalties for not turning up – but an email letting us know, if possible, would be helpful.
7. We’ll put a list of entries on the RR website nearer the time so that you can check your entry has been registered.
8. Entries queries to Lindsey @ LKnox.me.uk
|Download:||Download will be at the Sports Centre. Remember – No muddy or spiked shoes.|
|Terrain||A mix of extremely nice beech woodland and varying degrees of planted conifers. Lots of paths/rides, some open fields. The snow has flattened much of the undergrowth and it’s generally fast running.|
|Start times:||Starts from 11:00 to 1:00 (registration opens at 10:30). Punching starts.|
|Starts/Finish:||There will be a walk of about 1.5km to the Start, uphill, into the woods. Start and Finish are almost adjacent (150m apart), and we’ll provide a tent for clothing/shelter if the weather is damp.|
|Entry fees:||Seniors: £8 (less £2 discount for Senior BOF members proof of membership required).
Juniors/students on any course: £3.
Seniors on Orange or Runners course: £3.
Familes/Groups on White or Yellow: £6 (2 maps).
|Course details (subject to final controlling)||
|Runners course *||The Runners course is Yellow standard and is aimed at runners who haven’t orienteered before. A introduction to running/navigating with a map, with electronic timing giving you splits for each control point. Please ask at Registration and someone will explain what to do.|
|String course:||Sorry, there won’t be a string course.|
|Additional information:||New 1:10,000 A3 size map, and we’ve extended the old map (1975-1988) onto an area never used before. See article here. Due to the large mapped size there will only be an abbreviated legend on the map. There will be NO water at the Finish.|
|Timing:||SportIdent will be used. Dibbers can be hired on the day. No charge for hiring but a £30 charge if you lose it.
For regular orienteers we recommend that you buy your own dibber – it speeds up the process of entering competitions and you don’t get one that dozens of people before you have used. The basic version 5 one at £28.57 suits most needs. If you think you need to save milliseconds at each control, or you do a lot of long races then version 6 is the one to go for at £49.12+. Details here: SportIdent UK
|Controller:||John Biggar (LINOC)|
|More information:||John Tullie
Telephone: 01450 850217
email: john @ bowanhill.demon.co.uk