We have helped with setting up 2 new permanent courses in the Scottish Borders. Nice easy courses in lovely surroundings, primarily aimed at juniors and beginners. Not technically challenging for experienced orienteers but could make a reasonable sprint training session. Note that the club has no control over the availability of the maps or areas, we just advised on the set-up. BOTH CURRENTLY CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19.
1. Traquair House, near Innerleithen. 2 short courses round the Estate of easy-medium difficulty. Maps on sale there, probably £1 each. Website: www.traquair.co.uk
2. Wilton Park, Hawick. An easy and a medium course round the park and Violet Woods. Maps on sale from the Museum during opening hours. Museum opening hours HERE
MapRun is an App which allows you to use your smartphone to enjoy orienteering without needing to set up physical control points on the ground. Reivers now have 6 local courses for folk to enjoy (once the travel restrictions are lifted for those who don’t live nearby).
The 6 courses are:
- Bowmont Forest, near Kelso (Easy Trail 4.7km course)
- Bowmont Forest, near Kelso (Medium, Urban style) Available soon
- Hawick Town (All controls)
- Hawick Town (8 controls)
- Tweedbank (Orange, medium, urban course)
- Wilton Park, Hawick (30 minute Score)
Go to HERE and towards the bottom of the page you’ll find some instructions, then the list of available events under that. Make sure you install MapRunF (not the older MapRun).
Once you’ve installed the app it’ll find events near you automatically when you tap the “Events Near Me” button on your phone. Ideally you would print off the PDF and run using that to navigate but it’s also perfectly possible to just use the map on your phone. We suggest starting your phone, put it away in a pocket or similar, then run with the map in your hand.